I have always believed that Agencies, Marketers and Entrepreneurs can enhance their odds of winning new business exponentially by ‘profiling’ their new business prospects and leaders correctly and with the best ‘positioning’ too. All members of an Agency’s new business team need to understand how to identify different profiles, how to build trust with each one, and most importantly, how each will make their decision.
Importantly, besides Trust and Chemistry – I truly believe “Purpose’ is also critical to really picking up and emphasizing why companies and people alike excel faster and more comprehensively than those that don’t. Especially when it comes to politics, business and the greater society. In fact, purpose drives everything from hiring staff, to allocating resources and even judging your successes.
As I have previously written, I think today, more than any other time in history, do to the Internet, Mobile Marketing, Social Media and Media Empires – the people and companies that are determining who governs us, help America and the World, who are caring for people AND, making us feel great in critical areas – are the ones that will ‘leap ahead’ of the competition today.
NOTHING GREAT IN THE WORLD HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED WITHOUT PASSION ~ Hegel
With mega-social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google and others censoring voices, closing, shadow banning or denying access, emerging movements like #MeToo , #FreeTommyRobinson, #TakeAKnee, #MAGA, #TrumpTrain, #Deplorables, #FakeNews , #BlackLivesMatter, #BuildThatWall and many more on Twitter, Instagram, etc. – gives everyone and anyone to actively participate in the big conversations taking place today.
This applies to everyone, whether you are a Vegan looking for a great place to eat, to trending liberal trends, to travel hashtags on Instagram or Twitter for example.
Importantly, whether you as an individual, political group or even a corporation – those that understand the importance of purpose and power of values play a winning hand in the years to come. In fact, I have often read that approximately 80% of folks working today, don’t feel fulfilled at work and those people or brands that make them feel better, loved or respected perform way higher emotionally and financially than their competition.
That’s why understanding your ‘WHY’ and sharing it with the folks around you is critical today.
WHY IS PURPOSE IMPORTANT TO BUSINESS
Those companies or organizations that can clearly articulate their causes or beliefs have an unfair advantage over those companies that don’t. Especially with the ‘freshly minted’ graduates and employees. A company that inspires staff, helps people or groups is way more important to folks today had just making more money and working far harder than past generations. The highest performing companies today like: Patagonia, Unilever and others are also building and encouraging more fulfillment and lasting happiness on the job.
And, you don’t have to be a ‘rocket scientist’ to understand what that does to momentum, loyalty, trust, influence and productivity. Importantly, if your constituents know exactly what you stand for and agree with your values – you become a trusted partner.
From my experience, today’s best companies win back hearts, minds and wallets of the most fickle clients and customers by:
- Defining Goals
- Pinpointing the right audience
- Assigning roles
- Incorporating the suite of best capabilities
- Connecting consistently and often
- Adding more value
- Trying to make a difference in the world
- Believe in purpose BEFORE profit (the profit will follow)
- Purpose recruits the most passionate people
VISION, MISSION AND PURPOSE STATEMENTS – WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?
I would like to attempt to highlight my perspectives of the differences and misuse between the phrases I have often encountered in Board Rooms all over the world with ‘Vision, Mission and Purpose’ – here is my attempt to define each:
- Vision Statement = what a company, organization might look like in the future. For example, Swedish company Ericsson, a global provider of communications equipment, software, and services defines its vision as being “the prime driver in an all-communicating world.”
- Mission Statement = What a company or organization does and for whom For example, ‘We’re on a mission to drive down the cost of products and services, making them more accessible and affordable for everyone’s benefit.’
- Purpose Statement = the reason or reasons the company or organization exists. (It’s the business model, the leadership, direction and positioning that you will make a difference, money and history) For example, ‘Wal-Mart’s purpose is to save people money so they can live better lives’
As Jim Stengel former global marketing officer of Procter & Gamble stated’ ‘the power of purpose is not a marketing idea or sales idea. It’s a company idea. Purpose drives an entire organization and it answers why the brand exists’
So, you interested in starting to articulate your purpose for yourself or your company, I think some of the simplest and best ways to start are:
- KEEP IT SIMPLE – An awesome purpose statement must pass the 30-second Elevator Speech. Keep it easy, short and simple. Importantly always aim high
- CLARITY – Ensure your purpose statement provides clarity and necessity over creativity. Make sure you inspire, activate your internal team and give them a precise and clear sense of purpose and can clearly articulate the things that inspire the team and those around you and your company
- FRAMEWORK – Provide a framework to build movements that lead and can inspire others.
- FOCUS – Always keep a strong single-minded and focused approach. Avoid confusion, clutter and overloading ideas.
- USE PURPOSE TO LEAD – Purpose is a great way to motivate and inspire your team and troops. It integrates them and galvanizes them to fight for the same team and battle.
- BRING YOUR PURPOSE TO LIFE IN THE MARKETPLACE – make sure all your staff, partners, vendors, suppliers, stakeholders, and investors know what you stand for.
- SHOOT FOR THE MOON – High expectations drive thrill and will to staff and employees. Importantly, setting highest standards and expectations horrifies your competitors too.
Remember if you want to excel and work, have even more purpose in life and be even more successful…it all starts with making deeper and better connections in life, defining your purpose and living it. Success only comes from the consistent increase in the quality of your ‘holistic life’.
Always shoot daily to have a great week, not a great Friday once a week. Expect to excel consistently, constantly and daily.
Make sure you live with passion, compassion, purpose, courage, shaping yourself daily and NOT let the environment around you shape you. Make a commitment to higher standards, constantly expanding and following your heart.
Bottom-line, if you want to excel in your life, you ARE the only one who can control your mind, your thoughts, decisions, attitude, questions, direction, beliefs, knowing what brings you PLEASURE or PAIN and only you can determine your purpose. Remember, ONLY you can determine YOUR DESTINY, YOUR DREAMS, and EVOLVE into your destiny.
If you’re crafting a purpose statement, my advice is this: To inspire your staff to do good work for you, find a way to express the organization’s impact on the lives of customers, clients, students, patients — whomever you’re trying to serve. Make them feel it.
Finally, select and choose things that make you enthusiastic, connected and satisfied. And, always find things and ways to help you, people, services and skills that cultivate the feelings that you wish to consistently share and experience in your life. I hope I have inspired you a little to lift and raise your standards and become even more extraordinary. To your continued success!
About Geoff De Weaver:
Super strategist who directs Fortune 500 clients to define their vision, create a strategy, and harness their internal innovation to grow their business or reinvent their products. Expert at building and transforming brands, businesses, and digital and physical customer experiences at scale.
History of success developing and executing cross-channel global marketing campaigns to drive brand positioning, equity, and awareness while increasing engagement and sales.
Innovative entrepreneur, author, speaker, and advertising executive with vast expertise driving business growth, reinventing brands, and implementing global marketing campaigns.
Connect with me at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/geoffdeweaver/
OR: Hit me up on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/geoff_deweaver