WARNING: THE 2019 FINANCIAL YEAR END IS CLOSING IN FAST… WHAT ARE YOU DOING TODAY TO PREPARE FOR IT?
I am not sure about you BUT, as Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas loom on the horizon, I always start planning for a massive push to achieve my own end of year goals and to kick off a ‘planned assault’ in the coming year. So, what are you doing to prepare for both?
You have 2 CHOICES:
- WASTE IT & let your competitors gain an advantage. Or
- WIN IT & gain an advantage over your competitors!
So what’s it going to be with you?
Because I was born in New York and lived in San Francisco during the ‘dot com’ days AND, have always been a huge sports enthusiast and always tried to role model awesome leaders. I am also hugely competitive nature, decisive, a risk-taker and am always looking for new ways to innovate and implement cutting-edge ideas. That’s probably why I have always admired Bill Walsh, Former San Francisco 49ers football coach AND, Coach Wooden, Former Head Coach of UCLA Basketball Program.
Both of these legendary coaches were highly innovative, very strategic, paradigm shifters and leaders in building culture. That’s why I believe that most successful people and business leaders today have all learned and taken pages from the ‘playbook’ of both Bill Walsh and John Wooden. By this I mean, they have all established successful businesses that have these core elements in common:
- They all developed Successful Team Starts by Developing a Successful Culture. All were ‘start-ups’ with great performing brands today. They raised the bar of thinking and acting that was based on high standards, hard work, and a commitment to being first-class in everything they did. E.g. Supply quick, clean, rides, better priced accommodation, etc.
Picture: Drew Brees is an American football quarterback for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League.(NFL)
“WHAT I’VE DISCOVERED ALONG THE WAY IS THAT THE ROAD TO SUCCESS IS USUALLY A PRETTY BUMPY ONE. AND THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS. YOU ARE EITHER GETTING BETTER OR GETTING WORSE, BUT YOU ARE NEVER STAYING THE SAME.”
~ DREW BREES*
*Quarterback for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League (NFL).
- BOTH Walsh and Wooden saw their first role as a coach, was to be a leader and disruptor who should drive and create a culture of success. They were both amazing role models,communicators, inspirational, teachers. They also rewarded their teams, and always enforced the expectations and standards as to how their program and company would operate. This included how their staff would train, practice, compete, win, lose, lead, and conduct themselves on and off the playing field or office. Importantly, they all set the core values, principles, and ideals.
They also, demanded all expectations and results be set, planned and completed. Constantly built loyalty AND, exponentially increased the speed of adoption.
- Creating, communicating, implementing, and sustaining the right team culture is the key catalyst to lasting success. Walsh said, “The culture precedes positive results. It doesn’t get tacked on as an afterthought on your way to the victory stand. Champions behave like champions before they’re champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners.”
‘Culture precedes positive results.’
- All the best leaders in today’s ‘startups’ or innovative and disruptive companies are leaders who also set the company’s tone and company culture.
As Bill Walsh once said, “It all starts at the top.” He would then state the following, “…If you want your athletes to model the kind of passion, commitment, and work ethic necessary to be successful, you must demonstrate it yourself in everything you do. You are the tone setter for your athletes, coaching staff, support staff, etc. They will take all their cues from you.”
Picture: Bill Walsh was an American football coach. He served as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers and the Stanford Cardinal football team, during which time he popularized the West Coast offense.
As I have stated before, in my mind, Bill Walsh is and will always be one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. When he took over the San Francisco 49ers, they were the worst team in the league with a 2-14 record. Within 2 years, they were the best team in football, winning the Super Bowl, and becoming a dynasty, winning 4 titles over the next 10 years.
What makes Bill Walsh’s career even more impressive is that he not only built a winning team BUT he also developed an incredible 8 future head coaches, who developed another 35 future NFL head coaches. NOW THAT’S COACHING & LEADERSHIP AT ITS FINEST.
“LEADERS ARE MADE BY OTHER LEADERS, AND ARE MADE BETTER BY OTHER LEADERS, AND GO ON TO MAKE YET MORE LEADERS.”
- Today’s leaders at Netflix, Apple, Microsoft, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Accenture all get that to build a ‘championship culture’ in today’s ever accelerating business market you must place a premium on: Character, Commitment, Positivity, Relationships and Results.
Today’s digital and great brand leaders and elite entrepreneurs all understand that Culture wins today. #CultureWins. Importantly, all the highest performing and most innovative companies today, have exceptional leaders that create “Championship Cultures” value such as:
- TOTAL COMMITMENT
- HIGH CHARACTER
- IMMENSE COMPETITIVE NATURES
- STRONG RELATIONSHIPS
- FIERCE COMPETITORS
- POSITIVE ENERGY
- BEST LIVED IN HELPING FAMILY, CO-WORKERS + FRIENDS
- MAINTAINING INTEGRITY
- IMPROVING AND TAKING ONGOING RISKS. NO RISK, NO REWARD.
NOW IT’S TIME TO REMEMBER THIS…
To be an innovator or builder of a great brand or to be a ‘paradigm shifter’, it isn’t all about technology but, rather in becoming an innovator trying to find better, smarter, faster ways to enhance peoples lives, add more value, leverage technology and new business models. They are the ones who will deliver ‘WOW’ through service, build loyalty and deeper relationships of trust and embrace change.
Over the years Coach Walsh demonstrated this to his players and backed it up in how he taught them to get better. He pushed them to excel, he brought out greatness in them; during his time as coach, he developed 6 future members of the Hall of Fame, and countless stars. As Walsh put it: “…one of the things I love most about leadership – is teaching a person how to reach high and higher, to achieve great things with his or her talent.”
YOU CAN DO THE SAME.
So look at your team and not just see the skills they have today, but consider their potential to do more! There is the incredible opportunity you have to tap into their deepest motivations by just believing in your team.
I personally have found over both my sporting and business career, the four biggest reasons why teams WIN AND LOSE:
- Physical Ability
NOTE: The average teams excel in 1-2 areas, great teams excel in 2-3 areas AND, Championship Teams excel in all 4 areas (that’s where all the leaders will push and inspire their team, staff and suppliers in 2020)
As Bill Walsh and John Wooden illustrated all those years ago, the most successful coaches, leaders and businesses in 2020 will all lead with empathy and courage. Finally, Leadership is also about the example you set and the culture you create. Win the day and here’s to your continued success!
REMEMBER – IN 2020, MAKE SURE YOUR BUSINESS IS THE DRIVER AND NOT THE ‘ROADKILL’.
Super strategist who directs Fortune 500 clients to define their vision, create a strategy, and harness their internal innovation to grow their business or reinvent their products. My key skills are decades of data-powered tools including: CRM, Mobile, Social Media, PR and Digital.
Expert at building and transforming brands, businesses, and digital and physical customer experiences at scale. Adept at telling a cohesive and integrated global story across multiple audiences.
Geoff is currently ranked the Top 1% in the Advertising & Marketing Industries with his network on LinkedIn and Social Selling Index worldwide. He has a remarkable reach of over 632,617,647+ 1st, 2nd and 3rd level connections alone on LinkedIn worldwide as at October 2019. (and a US focus)
History of success developing and executing cross-channel global marketing campaigns to drive brand positioning, equity, and awareness while increasing engagement and sales and loyalty. Over three decades of worldwide experience gained in markets like: New York City, San Francisco, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, Taipei, etc.
Innovative entrepreneur, author, speaker, and advertising executive with vast expertise driving business growth, reinventing brands, and implementing global marketing campaigns. Always proud and motivated to act as a trusted advisor to many CEO’s, CMO’s and iconic brands worldwide.
Connect with me here:
Amazon Authors: https://www.amazon.com/Geoff-De-Weaver/e/B007DAEKFG
#Advertising #Digital #Leadership #Author #Speaker #Influencer #GlobalBrandManagement #Success #Results #Winning #Pitching #Data #DigitalMarketing #DirectMarketing #CRM #AskGeoff #SocialSelling #B2B #Mobile #Growth #LeadGeneration #Trust #Loyalty #Fortune500 #DigitalPioneer #Book #LinkedIn #Data #MarTech #B2C #InternetMarketing #Edge #InfluencerMarketing #innovation #strategist #technology #branding #Cryptocurrency #Bitcoin #Results #Winning