A theory Malcolm Gladwell popularized in his book, Outliers, stated that 10,000 hours of practice can turn anyone into an expert BUT, I remain highly skeptical and don’t necessarily agree with Gladwell’s assumption.
In fact, I have personally met and gotten to know hundreds of swimmers, athletes, musicians, speakers, etc – who have revealed that there have been many other significant factors that have made them stars, influencers or high performance leaders.
Tiger Woods, Yo Yo Ma, are just two people who spring to mind quickly. They both have stated that their age, their personalities and intelligence were also key factors and influencers in their success. I am also strongly convinced that its not just the quantity of time BUT, the quality of time they spent in honing their skills. As legendary Football Coach , Vince Lombardi once stated, ‘“Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.”
Additionally, NBA Legend Michael Jordan stated: “You can shoot eight hours a day, but if your technique is wrong, all you become is good at shooting the wrong way. Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise.”
Having a strong work ethic, luck, determination and a strong support network will also enhance your chances of being more successful and influential.
In fact, whether you are Serena Williams, Boris Becker, The Beatles or Bill Gates – no one – not rock stars, not professional athletes, not software billionaires and not even geniuses – ever make it alone. But, many small, daily triggers and actions done year in and year out will change your latitude and longitude.
A combination of natural ability and sheer dedication are critical to success. So is managing your mind and destiny. Your state of mind is the key to everything.
Over the years, I have become one of the most influential people in the world in Social Media Marketing (e.g. Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc), and have over one million plus Twitter Followers for example, I have also tried to become more influential with high performance business people in the US by following these steps.
So in order to improve your skills and social influence and leadership, you need to:
- Add Value – If you want to get paid more, attract more clients, grab more clients, always add value to every customer or brand and give them tools to improve, grow and leverage. Make a difference. Always add value.
- Think and Act differently – Have a clear vision and inspire people with vision. Envision what tomorrow will look like – what is the dream!
- Ask Better Questions – If you understand better, you will provide better answers and recommendations. This is critical and must be used daily. In every meeting or network. E.g. goals, measurements, audience, roles, objectives and outcomes. Find out the larger objectives.
- Know the Audience – this is credibly important and can add value.
- Capabilities – Find out if the people know how to do the job or role. Understand what they can or cannot do.
- Measurement – Responsibility, what does it look like, what results are required. Remember the old adage, if you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.
- Be the Linchpin or Connector – be the person who knows the people or companies. Connect via emails, phone calls, introductions. Know who is good at what.
- Be Distinctive – Built on a solid foundation
- Be Excellent – Ask your friends before showing your ‘hand’. Due diligence in advance with feedback. Think it through
- Make a Difference – Make sure you do with love, value, humanity, service and emotion. Always give more. Be the Go-To person with the ‘insider knowledge’.
And, finally, remember, people will follow you, because you inspire them to build more value, build more wealth and you will be even more influential.
If you are serious about becoming more influential or even rapidly accelerating your new business results in 2017, contact me now as developing and implementing the perfect new business strategy and plan to become even more valued or high profile.
More about Geoff De Weaver:
Feel free to get in touch with Geoff for further information:
- Personal Website: https://geoffdeweaver.com/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/geoffdeweaver
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/geoff_deweaver
- Touchpoint Entertainment: http://touchpoint.best/
- Geoff’s Amazon Authors Profile: https://www.amazon.com/Geoff-De-Weaver/e/B007DAEKFG/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1