By Geoff De Weaver, CEO + Founder, Touchpoint Entertainment Inc.
WARNING: The 2015/16 financial year is closer than it appears on your calendar… What are you doing TODAY to prepare for it?
I am not sure about you but, as summer starts to wind down for the year, and the hot nights of summer start fading, from a personal and business perspective, I always seem to start planning for the massive push towards the end of year goals and kicking off with a planned assault in the coming year. So, what are you doing to prepare? As I always think:
You have 2 CHOICES:
- WASTE IT & let your competitors gain an advantage
- WIN IT & gain an advantage over your competitors
So what’s it going to be with you?
Having lived in San Francisco, always been a huge sports enthusiast, a hugely competitive nature, being decisive, a risk-taker and always looking for new ways to innovate and implement cutting-edge ideas – I always have admired Bill Walsh (Former San Francisco 49ers football coach) and Coach Wooden (Former Head Coach of UCLA Basketball Program). Both are legendary coaches and highly innovative, paradigm shifters and leaders in building culture.
In many ways I think both coaches have had a huge impact that has been absorbed, implemented and replicated by many of today’s true digital disrupters, leaders and paradigm shifters including: Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Brian Chesky (Airbnb), Travis Kalanick (Uber), Elon Musk (Tesla, Pay Pal, Solar City), Jeff Bezos (Amazon) and Jack Ma (Alibaba), Jeff Bezos (Amazon) for example.
All the above tech leaders in today’s digital disruptive market all have learned and taken pages from the ‘playbook’ of both Bill Walsh and John Wooden. By this I mean, they all have established wildly successful businesses that all have these common core elements:
- They all develop a Successful Team Starts with Developing a Successful Culture. All ‘start-ups’ (Unicorns – companies with a $1 billion or more valuation) have raised the bar of thinking and acting that was based on high standards, hard work, and a commitment to being first-class in everything they do. e.g. Supply quick, clean, rides, better priced accommodation, etc.
Here is a great example of a digital leader today that gets the importance of innovation, and a successful culture, Tony Hsieh. He stated “Our core values should always be the framework from which we make all of our decisions.” ~ Tony Hsieh, Zappos
2. They all see their first role as a coach, leader and disruptor should be to create a culture of success. They all model, communicate, inspire, teach, reward, and enforce the expectations and standards for how their program and company operates – including how their staff will train, practice, compete, win, lose, lead, and conduct themselves on and off the playing field or office. Importantly, they all set the core values, principles, and ideals.
In Mark Zuckerberg’s case – e.g. when he said “Move fast and break things. Unless you are breaking stuff, you are not moving fast enough.” and even the dress code!)
3. Creating, communicating, implementing, and sustaining the right team culture is the key catalyst to lasting success. Walsh said, “The culture precedes positive results. It doesn’t get tacked on as an afterthought on your way to the victory stand. Champions behave like champions before they’re champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners.”
Today, a great example of creating and communicating a lasting success is how Uber’s Founders, Travis Kalanick and Garrett Camp never tried to improve the Taxi experience BUT…simply reinvented it. Now that’s a power culture build on innovation, disruption and breaking an established old school business model.
4. All the best leaders today in the ‘unicorns’ or digital disruptive companies have leaders that set the companies tone.
As Bill Walsh once said, “It all starts at the top.” He then would state the following, ‘…If you want your athletes to model the kind of passion, commitment, and work ethic necessary to be successful, you must demonstrate it yourself in everything you do. You are the tone setter for your athletes, coaching staff, support staff, etc. They will take all their cues from you.”
“LEADERS are made by other leaders, and are made better by other leaders, and go on to make yet more LEADERS.”
5. Today’s leaders at Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, SolarCity, Tesla all get that to build a ‘championship culture’ in today’s ever accelerating business market you must place a premium on: Character, Commitment, Positivity, Relationships and Results.
Today’s digital leaders and elite entrepreneurs all understand that Culture wins today. #CultureWins
Importantly, all the highest performing and most innovative companies today, all have exceptional leaders that create “Championship Cultures” value such as:
- total commitment
- high character
- immense competitive natures
- strong relationships
- fierce competitors
- positive energy
- best lived in helping family, co-workers + friends
- maintaining integrity
- improving and taking ongoing risks. No risk, No reward.
In conclusion, an innovator and paradigm shifter isn’t all about technology but, primarily an innovator trying to find better, smarter, faster ways to enhance peoples lives, add more value, leverage technology and new business models to deliver WOW through service, build loyalty and deeper relationships of trust and embrace change.
Jump on the innovation and digital disruption Northbound Train immediately or you will end up destroyed and disrupted like: Blockbuster, Barnes & Noble, The entire Music Industry, The Tourism Industry, The Taxi and Transportation industry and all the staid old guard, retrograde companies refusing to change the status quo.
Remember, make sure your business in 2016 is the Driver and not the ‘roadkill’.
More About Geoff De Weaver:
Hailing from New York; Geoff De Weaver is the driven, passionate and charismatic entrepreneur, lifestyle guru behind Touchpoint Entertainment Inc. Geoff is a catalyst for change, business coach, digital provocateur and a strategist for success.
As a CEO + Founder of Touchpoint Entertainment, Geoff is always on the lookout for the latest business innovation, sporting trends, music trends and for the latest ways to engage with people; from mobile and streaming technologies, to live events, music, sports marketing, entertainment and customer/fan experience.
Geoff has a global 25-year background of representing some of the world’s most iconic worldwide brands including: Coca Cola, IBM, IMG, P&G, Microsoft, Nike, British Airways, Wells Fargo, EA Sports, MasterCard, Shutterfly.com, EA.com, E*Trade, Nestle, Air France, AT&T, VISA, Unilever, EA.com, Ferrari, American Express, P&G, Trend Micro, Acer Computers, BMW, Shutterfly.com, Mars, Pfizer, TiVo, EarthLink Internet, American Express, Telstra and others.
- Top 0.5% Worldwide on Twitter Globally
- Top 1% Influencer on LinkedIn and 32+ million network on LinkedIn worldwide
- Top 1% Most Viewed Profiles on LinkedIn (380+ million members)
- Geoff is a Digital Pioneer, Data-Driven, Entrepreneur, Business Coach + Innovator.
Feel free to get in touch with Geoff for further information:
- Business Website: http://touchpoint.best/
- Personal Website: geoff.deweaver.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/geoffdeweaver
- Twitter: @geoff_deweaver
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/public/Geoff-De-Weaver