By Geoff De Weaver, CEO + Founder of Geoff De Weaver Inc. www.geoffdeweaver.com, Touchpoint Entertainment Inc. http://touchpoint.best/, or connect with me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/geoff_deweaver
Do you wake up every morning excited about what’s ahead of you during the day? Are you inspired, excited or get goose bumps about your plans, programs and to-do list for the day?
Importantly, do you fill fulfilled by your current company or have a leader that truly inspires you, keeps you highly engaged and productive? At the end each day do you feel your work matters?
Well, I am going to attempt to outline some of my thoughts, gained over two decades. Whether I have been in the US, Taiwan, England, Singapore, New Zealand or Australia, I have discovered some consistent themes that have been ‘in play’ around me and have helped shaped my life, thoughts and purpose. I hope some of these insights help inspire you, energize you, equip you and move you to the path of purpose.
‘Remember, a dead fish can float down a stream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream’ ~ W.C. Fields
Things great leaders and influential people do best…
From my experience, today’s best companies win back hearts, minds and wallets of the most fickle clients and customers by:
- Defining Goals
- Pinpointing the right audience
- Assigning roles
- Incorporating the suite of best capabilities
- Connecting consistently and often
- Adding more value
Targeting high value prospects/clients, motivating a switch decision, activating new customers, cross selling to higher margin services, retaining to extend length and loyal of relationship, dramatically reducing or ELIMINATING sources of dissatisfaction PLUS, Focusing on customers’ changing needs are all critical too.
Here are 7 tips to make you happier, feel more fulfilled and excel in whatever you do:
- Sleep more, 7- 8 hours daily minimum
It took me almost 20 years to realize that going to bed after midnight and getting ready to jump on a train to go from Greenwich, CT to Grand Central for an 8am arrival and retuning home after 8pm or later most nights wasn’t serving me well.
Here is a summary and recommendations of what a panel from The National Sleep Foundation (NSF) in Sleep Health: The Journal of the National Sleep Foundation. URL: https://sleepfoundation.org/ had to say:
- Newborns (0-3 months): Sleep range narrowed to 14-17 hours each day (previously it was 12-18)
- Infants (4-11 months): Sleep range widened two hours to 12-15 hours (previously it was 14-15)
- Toddlers (1-2 years): Sleep range widened by one hour to 11-14 hours (previously it was 12-14)
- Preschoolers (3-5): Sleep range widened by one hour to 10-13 hours (previously it was 11-13)
- School age children (6-13): Sleep range widened by one hour to 9-11 hours (previously it was 10-11)
- Teenagers (14-17): Sleep range widened by one hour to 8-10 hours (previously it was 8.5-9.5)
- Younger adults (18-25): Sleep range is 7-9 hours (new age category)
- Adults (26-64): Sleep range did not change and remains 7-9 hours
- Older adults (65+): Sleep range is 7-8 hours
- Spend More Time With Your Friends and Family: Money Can’t Buy You Happiness
Failure to stay in touch with friends and family is one of the Top 5 regrets of the dying.
If you want more evidence that time with friends is beneficial for you, research proves it can make you more fulfilled and happier too.
Social time is highly valuable when it comes to improving your happiness, even if you are an introvert. Several studies have found that time spent with friends and family makes a big difference in how happy we feel.
- Spend More Time focusing on your own health and wellness and being Holistic. (Not just money, titles, and owning stock/shares)
If you have ever been focused on just financial, title, homes, cars or just ‘personal gain’ isn’t the answer I assure you, you must also invest time and effort into your mission, your religion/church/spirit, your hobbies, your partner/spouse, your kids/family and spend time on things you love e.g. could be painting, playing golf or even listening to your favorite music.
To truly feel fulfilled, you must focus on all having a ‘holistic life’ and not just making money or getting ahead. If you are spending 95% of you is life chasing money, your career, titles, etc. – The consequences can be substantial.
As I always say, purpose is the best path to High Performance. By this I mean, if you have 95% of your time tied up chasing money/Career/titles – that leaves 5% of your precious time to connect with your wife/spouse/partner and even less for your health/wellness, hobbies, church, community, friends/family, etc. All major decisions and success comes from successes in all areas, otherwise you will never be fulfilled. In fact, I have personally met many very wealthy people who have all the trappings of success, but lack fulfillment as they struggle through life.
I think a purpose is the key contributor to a life well lived and is more important than just having an 8 am to 6pm job to endure. Life is about being happy, fulfilled and living with passion.
- Spend more time walking or being outside
I certainly recommend spending time in the fresh air to improve my happiness. In fact, I try to walk at least 10,000 steps a day using my trusted Fitbit.
Fitbit starts everyone off with a 10,000–step goal. Here ‘s why: It adds up to about five miles each day for most people and includes about 30 minutes of daily exercise. This also satisfies the American Heart Association recommendation of at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week. Note: The American Heart Association uses the 10,000 steps metric as a guideline to follow for improving health and decreasing risk of heart disease, the number one killer of men and women in America.
Also, making time to go outside on a nice day also delivers a huge advantage; one recent University study found that spending 20 minutes outside in good weather not only boosted positive moods, but it also broadened thinking and improved working memory.
This is great news for those of us who are worried about fitting new habits into our already-busy schedules. Twenty minutes is a short enough time to spend outside or fit into your commute or even your lunch break each day. I also recommend, skipping meetings around a table, and talking business over a walk with your associate/partner!
- Keep Hydrated
Most Business people in the US don’t drink enough water to stay hydrated and often struggle to keep pace and focused especially after lunch. According to the latest scientific research, the optimal amount of water to consume daily is: eight 8-ounce glasses, which equals about 2 liters, or half a gallon of water each and everyday.
Here’s why. Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water. (Skip the Coca-Cola and fizzy sugary drinks too!)
‘The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well’ ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Mindset & Focus
I am a huge believer that how you control your mindset and focus contributes to at least 80% of your success with both work and life in general. And, the other 20% is attributed to the systems and methods you employ to achieve your work or project. Therefore, 80% of your success is in your mind and the psychology you employ daily.
Starting NOW you must take the following actions each and every day:
- Demand and set a higher standard for yourself
- Step up with: passion, purpose, courage, will, faith and determination
- Don’t do a poor job, not a good jobs or even an excellent job – BE OUTSTANDING. Stand out, love, be dedicated, be consistent, give it your all and have a committed psychology/mindset.
- Your passion and purpose is the same as a muscle – the more you push it and exercise it, the faster it will grow and expand.
- Push your Mind and Emotion to the highest levels daily
- Outstanding people always do more. For example, if they are asked to do 20 pushups, outstanding people will to 21 or more. Set the highest standards.
- Never day “some day” or “tomorrow” because some day may never come. Step up and do it daily. Make it happen NOW!
- Importantly, watch out whom you associate with. Manage your mindset and destiny – If you associate with people that don’t lift you higher – your standards will never grow or flourish to the level you rightly deserve. If you lie down with dogs, quite often you will come out with fleas. Raise your standards.
- You have to make yourself BETTER.
- Importantly, as the great Jim Rohn once stated, ‘You are the average of the 5 people you spend most of your time with.” (I agree you must have people in your inner circle that inspire you, lift you higher and push your limits. Always gather inspiring people around yourself.
Finally, remember if you want to excel and work, have even more purpose in life and be even more successful…it all starts with making deeper and better connections in life, defining your purpose and living it. Success only comes from the consistent increase in the quality of your ‘holistic life’. Remember to always shoot daily to have a great week, not a great Friday once a week. Expect to excel consistently, constantly and daily.
Make sure you live with passion, compassion, purpose, courage, shaping yourself daily and NOT let the environment around you shape you. Make a commitment to higher standards, constantly expanding and following your heart.
Bottom-line, if you want to excel in your life, you ARE the only one who can control your mind, your thoughts, decisions, attitude, questions, direction, beliefs, knowing what brings you PLEASURE or PAIN and only you can determine your purpose. Remember, ONLY you can determine YOUR DESTINY, YOUR DREAMS, and EVOLVE into your destiny.
Dream BIG, think BIG and commit.
Win the day!
More about Geoff De Weaver:
Feel free to get in touch with Geoff for further information:
- Personal Website: https://geoffdeweaver.com/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/geoffdeweaver
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/geoff_deweaver
- Touchpoint Entertainment: http://touchpoint.best/
- Geoff’s Amazon Authors Profile: https://www.amazon.com/Geoff-De-Weaver/e/B007DAEKFG/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1