Over the years I have always found if you are dedicated, focused and have clarity on winning business and growing, in areas like: improving motivation, innovation, or productivity, your mindset must always be certain, reachable and obtainable.
I have also found that before you chase your dreams and goals, it’s critical to have a clear and healthy mindset to maximize impact. Confidence, self-trust are vital BUT, so is looking to the future, identifying the skills, tasks and programs that will drive your high performance into the future too!
When you have clarity, increase your productivity, mindfulness and innovation – having a growth mindset will make the major difference in winning consistently. This is especially true for individuals, companies and advertising agencies! I even think having an obsession towards your dreams and goals coupled with urgency will help you be even more successful.
As world- renowned Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck stated,
“Focus on the learning process and show how hard work, good strategies, and good use of resources lead to better learning.”
Carol Dweck also defines ‘growth mindset’ as:
“In a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work—brains and talent are just the starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment.”
So, if you head into 2018 with a ‘mindset’ that creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment e.g. winning more clients and increasing loyal and revenues – you are more likely to outperform your competition and become more successful. Always accept the challenge.
In my 25 years in the Advertising and Communications industry globally, I have generally found, the most successful people have a positive and proactive mindset which in turn plays a huge role in their daily life and successes. In fact, much research has shown, that a positive mindset can contribute up to 80% of a person’s success.
And the other 20% are the skills, knowing the technical aspects and daily application of them! That’s why having a positive and ‘can-do’ mindset is critical for everyone in leadership roles and business development today!
By learning to ‘control’ your mind daily, you will be able to control your emotions, reclaim your attention span, develop a “steel trap” mind, improve your health, protect your finances and have more clarity and productivity. So focusing your mindset every morning upon waking is a great way to start your day.
With over 25% of people abandoning their New Year’s resolutions within seven days of making them, its easy to understand how and why people need to have more clarity and set necessity daily to become more focused, productive and have consistent massive success.
In fact, the most successful leaders, influencers and people, the proper ‘mindset’ plays a massive role in their daily life.
In most ultra-competitive events (like startups, venture-capital, business, sports, even dating) the weak and the ‘soy boys’, ‘beta males’ and ‘wishy-washy’ are killed off almost instantly today. It takes a certain mentality to be number one, something that the average person doesn’t have. So, shoot for great and not just good.
I am sure you have all listened to some of the major influencers in this area such as: Dale Carnegie, Jim Rohn, Napoleon Hill, Brendon Burchard, Mel Robbins, Barbara Corcoran, Simon Sinek, Daren Hardy, Amy Cuddy, Brian Tracy, Angela Lee Duckworth and Tony Robbins.
All have benefited from having the proper daily positive mindset which has played a huge role in their daily lives and have delivered fame, fortune and global success.
Some of the things I have continually tried to implement on a daily basis over my entire career include:
1. Consistently plan everyday with a clear focus on the projects and items that will give more clarity to your day and life. E.g. Always define your mission for the day.
The key areas I have found that are most effective for me include: establishing the main priorities for the day, the key people I need to connect with or chase, the people I should avoid because they ‘drain me’ AND… and keeping a list of ALL the major projects that MUST be completed that day.
2. Chart Your Path To Success. I believe clearly writing down, and sharing your dreams and goals with your team is a key part of achieving success. Getting your staff, agency or team to share your dream is necessary and importantly keeps you accountable too.
3. Be passionate.Empowered people pursue their passions relentlessly. There’s always going to be someone who’s more naturally talented than you are, but what you lack in talent, you can make up for in passion. Empowered people’s passion is what drives their unrelenting pursuit of excellence.
American business magnate, investor, and philanthropist, Warren Buffet recommends finding your truest passions using, what he calls, the 5/25 technique: Write down the 25 things that you care about the most. Then, cross out the bottom 20. The remaining 5 are your true passions. Everything else is merely a distraction. Focus and pinpoint your unique primary focuses! And, learn to say no.
4. Take massive action.It’s not that people with a growth mindset are able to overcome their fears because they are braver than the rest of us; it’s just that they know fear and anxiety are paralyzing emotions and that the best way to overcome this paralysis is to take action.
People with a growth mindset are empowered, and empowered people know that there’s no such thing as a truly perfect moment to move forward. So why wait for one? Taking action turns all your worry and concern about failure into positive, focused energy.
Bottom-line, you can’t sit in complacent inaction and still succeed. At some point, you have to make a move. Be willing to take action, even potentially incorrect action, and make it a habit.
5. Expect results.People with a growth mindset know that they’re going to fail from time to time, but they never let that keep them from expecting results. Expecting results keeps you motivated and feeds the cycle of empowerment. After all, if you don’t think you’re going to succeed, then why bother?
6. Be flexible.Everyone encounters unanticipated adversity. People with an empowered, growth-oriented mindset embrace adversity as a means for improvement, as opposed to something that holds them back. When an unexpected situation challenges an empowered person, they flex until they get results.
7. Teach your team and staff to have a growth mindset. I recommend always speaking passionately from the heart about the value of having a growth-mindset culture. Understand that all skills and tech automation basics are learnable, while building confidence in everyone’s ability in your Agency or team to learn and grow.
8. Trust your vision. I personally believe, and always have, that the most effective way to maintain this trust is to stay optimistic against all odds. Especially in new business I have always believed that there is gold at the end of the rainbow! You have to stay with it and truly believe in winning the prize. Never ever give up.
Conclusion: to be more successful in business, life and even pitching brands and iconic accounts in 2018, being bold, having courage, clarity and productivity are the key skills to possess.
Always believe in yourself, and keep a positive mental attitude combined with energy, necessity and productivity is key! Success is something that’s created. It’s not something that merely ‘happens.’
Finally, always have vision and a purpose. I also recommend that anything that’s written down is more likely to be achieved than visions kept only in the head. (Having ‘vision boards’ even solidifies that thinking too!) When you make your purpose visual, you make it real. When you keep them in your mind, they remain wishes.
As legendary author Jim Collins once stated, “Luck favors the persistent … true creators stay in the game. If you think life comes down to a single lucky hand, you will lose.”
About Geoff De Weaver:
Since 1985, Geoff has helped pioneer the use of inbound/outbound marketing, content marketing strategies, leadership, digital, PR, innovation and social media marketing specifically for agency new business.
Geoff is one of the Advertising & Digital industry’s leading agency New Business Thought Leaders. His extensive cross-cultural expertise spans five continents, multiple languages and hundreds of companies.
Geoff can also access hard to reach brands and clients, fully examine and target your exact needs and requirements in all channels. I can even pitch on your behalf and happily be the extension to your company’s new business team.
Proven, in-depth expertise in Internet Marketing, leadership development, organization design, performance management, training, ideation process and communications. Areas of focus are leadership, innovation, agency profit and loss, global business development and executive coaching.
Give me a call and let me show you a better way, +61 411 224 961 or send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Global Brand Management & Operations, Digital Marketing, Marketing, Advertising, Sales, Training, New Business, Consulting, Management, Leadership Coaching, High Performance, Team Building, Operations, and Ad Agency Growth.